Animal Services

City building

Your pets are members of our community and we want them to be safe and enjoy living in the City of Peterborough. Our animal by-law keeps our community and companion animals safe by making sure pet owners understand their responsibilities.

We also have an off-leash dog park that you can enjoy all year long with your dog.

Animal control

The Peterborough Humane Society provides our community with Animal Control Officers, an animal shelter and an adoption centre.

Frequently asked questions about pets in Peterborough

How many pets can I have?

You can have up to three dogs and three cats when you live in the City of Peterborough.

What pets need to be licensed?

All dogs and cats must be licensed each year in the City of Peterborough.

Where can I buy a licence for my pet?

You can buy a dog licence or cat licence by contacting the Peterborough Humane Society.

Where can I call if I have lost my pet or found a lost pet?

You can contact the Peterborough Humane Society at 705-742-4722 for more information.

Posting notices on social media about your lost pet also helps. Ask your neighbours and others to help you look for a lost pet.

Where can I adopt a pet?

You can see animals that are now available for adoption at the Peterborough Humane Society, by visiting their adoption page. They are located at 385 Lansdowne St. E., Peterborough.

Who do I call to complain about a barking dog/stray animal/poop and scoop?

You can make a complaint by calling the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Control Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 202 or 204 or by email Complaints are confidential.

Who do I call to report a dog bite attack on me or my pet?

You can report a biting dog or attack by contacting the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Control Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 202 or 204. If you require medical attention, please go immediately to Peterborough Regional Health Centre and report a dog bite.

Who do I call to report animal cruelty?

For cases of cruelty (such as abuse, neglect, abandonment and animal care issues) contact the Ontario Solicitor General's Animal Protection Unit at 1-833-9ANIMAL (1-833-926-4625).

Where are off-leash dog parks located in Peterborough?

For information and location of the City's off-leash dog park, please visit our Off-Leash Dog Park page.

Who do I call if I have found a sick, injured or abandoned animal?

Injured stray dogs and cats can be reported to the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Services Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 202.

If you have found an injured or abandoned wild animal, please contact Ontario Wildlife Rescue.

Wildlife in the city

Small wildlife such as foxes, coyotes and raccoons coexist in the city. 
  • General resources: Visit the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) website for do's and don'ts about feeding wildlife as well as information about wildlife management
  • Coyotes, foxes and wolves: the MNR's Prevent Conflicts with Wildlife page has tips on how to manage encounters with coyotes, foxes and wolves
  • Bears: the Province has a Bear Wise reporting line at 1-888-514-2327 for non-emergency encounters.
  • Emergencies: if an animal poses an immediate threat to safety and exhibits threatening or aggressive behaviour, call 911

Who do I call if I see a dead animal on the road?

Please contact Public Works at 705-745-1386 (answered 24/7) or by email.