Applications, Licences and Permits


The City of Peterborough oversees many activities such as businesses, lotteries and group homes though licences. We also organize things like Civic Award nominations and road closures through applications.

Common application forms, licences and permits

Business Licences - Business Licensing By-law 14-080

The City of Peterborough licences the following types of businesses under our Business Licensing By-law 14-080. All applications will be subject to inspections for any building, zoning, health and fire regulations that pertain to the specific type of business. Please note this is not the Provincial registration licence, this is for a municipal licence to operate in the City of Peterborough. You may contact Service Ontario for provincial requirements. Any further questions, please contact the City Clerks Office 705-742-7777 ext.1819.

Building Services and Permits

If you're doing any construction or renovations, you will need to check whether you need a building permit before you can start on the project. You can find information and forms on our Building Services and Permits page.

Civic Awards

Each year, Civic Awards are presented to residents of the City of Peterborough who have made a difference in the community through sports, arts, culture and volunteering. Applications are available in January each year and the awards are presented at a public event in June.

Lottery licences 

Please contact the Clerk's Office for information at 705-742-7777 ext. 1819.

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) authorizes the City of Peterborough to issue charitable gaming licences to charitable, not-for-profit organizations that demonstrate an eligible mandate, including:

  • relief of poverty
  • advancement of education
  • advancement of religion
  • other charitable purposes beneficial to the community

Organizations must submit an eligibility package to the City and receive approval prior to applying for a charitable gaming licence.

To apply for eligibility, please complete the Charitable Questionnaire and submit with all required documents to The City Clerks Office. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.

If you have questions please call 705-742-7777 extension 1819 or email Kelly Russelle

The City of Peterborough issues the following types of charitable gaming Licences:




Catch the Ace


Marriage Licences
To apply for a marriage licence, visit our Marriage Licences and Ceremonies page.

Group homes

Group homes are licensed by the City of Peterborough. The application to run a Group Home is available at the City Clerk's office or online.

Freedom of information request and request for correction to personal information

Please contact the Clerk's Office at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820 for information

You can make a request for information held by the City of Peterborough by filling out a Freedom of Information Request Form and submitting it with the $5.00 application fee to the City Clerk's Office.

If you think that personal information the City of Peterborough has about you is wrong or some information is missing, you can request a correction by filling out the Access/Correction Request form, and submitting it with the $5.00 application fee to the City Clerk's Office.

Oversize Load Permit Application

To apply for a permit, complete the online Oversize Load Permit Application. If you have additional questions, please contact the Construction Contract Administrator.

Road closure and event application forms

The festivals, concerts and other special events in Peterborough help make our community vibrant. If you are planning an event, please use our Special Events Planning Guide and Application, which will help you with all the required documentation including road closures. Other Road Closures for construction require our Temporary Road Occupancy Application.

If you are filming in Peterborough, please complete our Special Events Planning Guide and Application. Please also refer to the Guide to Filming in Peterborough.

Tree Notice By-law - Notification to remove a tree on private property

The notice for the removal of a tree should be sent to our Urban Forestry Division:

  • through an online form; or
  • by sending a paper copy of the notification at City Hall, 500 George St. N., Peterborough, Ont., marked to the attention of the Urban Forestry Division.

The notice is effective when it has been sent electronically - either by email or the online form - or when it has been received at City Hall.