Housing Stability Fund and Rent Supplement program update

full bike rack

Peterborough, ON – Starting January 1, 2022, the Housing Stability Fund and Housing Choice Rent Supplement programs will be available through Social Services with the City of Peterborough, rather than at the Housing Resource Centre as previously administered.

People who receive Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) are not affected by the changes to the Housing Stability Fund administration as they can already access the program through Social Services.

This change will impact individuals who:

  • receive a Housing Choice Rent Supplement; or
  • access emergency financial assistance to prevent homelessness or to move into housing and who do not receive OW or ODSP.

City of Peterborough Social Services provides social services for residents in both the City and County of Peterborough.

Accessing the programs

Where can I ask for financial assistance if I’m at risk of losing my housing?

If you are at risk of losing your housing or need financial help to move into housing, please contact the Social Services office at 705-748-8830.

Where can I apply for a rent supplement?

If you are at risk of losing your housing and need ongoing help to stay housed, please contact the Social Services office at 705-748-8830. Rent supplements are limited.

I get help from the Housing Choice Rent Supplement. Who should I talk to if I need help?

If you are already receiving Housing Choice Rent Supplement, you can contact a Social Services Client Services Worker. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to our office and we will connect you with staff who can help.

How do I know if I’m receiving a Housing Choice Rent Supplement or help from a different program?

If you’re not sure which program you’re getting help from, what you need to know is where you applied for it. If you applied at the Housing Resource Centre, then it’s a Housing Choice Rent Supplement. If you applied through the waiting list at Housing Access Peterborough or directly from Peterborough Housing Corporation there will be no change to you.

What will this mean for Housing Resource Centre?

The Housing Resource Centre is a committed and adaptable partner in delivering important services to vulnerable people in our community. This change will allow the Housing Resource Centre to provide more walk-in and on-demand services to people who are trying to secure housing or prevent eviction. Housing Resource Centre will continue to work closely with Social Services so that people who need financial supports can access them. Housing Resource Centre will also be working on tenant and landlord engagement, and providing housing location services for agencies working with vulnerable people.

- 30 -

For more information, members of the media are invited to contact the undersigned:

Brendan Wedley, Manager of Communication Services

City of Peterborough

705-742-7777 ext. 1636