Housing Services

full bike rack

There are many programs to help you with your housing. Programs are for people in the City and County of Peterborough.

Get help finding and keeping housing

Help finding housing

The Housing Resource Centre helps you find housing. Each week you can check for vacancy listings that show what's available to rent. These listings are from local newspapers and other websites. Make sure you know your rights as a tenant including some helpful housing search tips. You can get help in the City and County of Peterborough.

Help keeping housing

Housing Stability Fund

The Housing Stability Fund (HSF) helps you get or keep your housing. You can get help paying overdue bills, rent, and other housing-related costs.

If you are at risk of losing your housing and your income is low, you may be eligible. People who live in the City and County of Peterborough can apply. Some examples of eligible housing costs are:

  • Heat, hydro or rent arrears
  • Mortgage or tax arrears
  • Last month's rent
  • Beds, bed covers, mattresses and box springs
  • Emergency home repairs
  • Replacing or purchasing appliances
  • Moving or storage costs

Are you eligible?

If your income is from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

If your income is from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

then you may be eligible to receive:

  • Up to $700 per calendar year for singles
  • Up to $900 per calendar year for couples without dependent children
  • Up to $1,300 per calendar year for families with dependent children and or dependent adults

Contact the Social Services office at by phone at 705-748-8830.

If you do not receive income from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

If your income is not OW or ODSP e.g. pension, employment insurance, job, etc, you may be eligible to receive:

  • Up to $1,200 per calendar year for singles
  • Up to $2,000 per calendar year for families

Contact the Housing Resource Centre

540 George S. N.

Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3S1

By phone: 705-743-2272

By email: hrc@ccrc-ptbo.com

By text: 705-930-9301


Apply for Rent Geared-to-Income (RGI)

You can apply for Rent Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing at Housing Access Peterborough.

You can get connected with different types of social “community” housing. The Social Housing Directory shows a snapshot of the buildings. It also lists how to apply. Some local examples include:

Apply for affordable housing

Affordable Housing

The rent in affordable housing units is at or below average market rent (AMR). Your income must be below a certain amount to be eligible. Rent is not geared-to-income, but it is lower than most newspaper and online listings. Some units are only for seniors, families, or singles. Call these landlords for more information and to apply:

Amadeo Developments 705-743-5378

Myrtle Terrace, 200 St. Luke's Ave., Peterborough

  • 60 units for singles, seniors, families, and people with special needs

CB Rubidge 705-868-9759

135 Rubidge St., Peterborough

  • 4 units for families

Community Living 1-855-277-2121

732, 736 Jane St., Peterborough

  • 8 units for people with an intellectual disability

ECE Living 705-749-6871

260 Aylmer St. N., Peterborough

  • 6 units for seniors

Knox Residence 

Email: knoxres@yahoo.ca

400 Wolfe St., Peterborough

  • 42 units for singles
  • Some accessible units

Maryland Place 705-741-5769

716 Maryland Ave., Peterborough

  • 23 units for seniors

Moloney Property Development Corp. 705-768-5188

Argyle St. Apartments, 49 Argyle St., Peterborough

  • 16 units for seniors

Hazelbrae Place, 21 Barnardo Ave., Peterborough

  • 42 units for seniors

The Loyola, 188 Edinburgh St., Peterborough

  • 28 units for seniors

Victoria Park Apartments, 90 Murray St., Peterborough

  • 50 units for seniors, singles, and families

The Mount Community Centre 705-875-5095 

Website: www.themountpeterborough.ca

1545 Monaghan Rd., Peterborough

  • 65 units

Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services 705-742-5698 or 844-742-5698

721 Monaghan Rd., Peterborough

  • 11 units for self identified First Nation, Metis and Inuit community members
  • Some accessible

Otonabee Non-Profit Housing Corp. 705-295-4900

Monaghan Court, 35 Pinecrest Ave., Keene

  • 19 units for seniors

Payne-Downie 705-927-1651

342 Downie St., Peterborough

  • 4 units for families

Peterborough Housing Corporation 705-742-0439

Website: www.ptbohousingcorp.ca

Anson House, 136 Anson St., Peterborough

  • 26 units for singles and seniors

Bradburn House, 293 London St., Peterborough

  • 18 units for singles and seniors

Edinburgh Street, 220 Edinburgh St., Peterborough

  • 4 units

River Ridge, 900 Dutton Rd., Peterborough

  • 40 units for singles, seniors, families, and special needs

Saunders Court, 130 Anson St., Peterborough

  • 30 units for singles and seniors

Trailview Terrace, 48 Rabbit St., Lakefield

  • 54 units for seniors and special needs

Woollen Mill, 526 McDonnel St., Peterborough

  • 50 units for singles, seniors, families, and special needs

Swirl in Motion 705-292-0492

Canadian Woollens, 544 McDonnel St., Peterborough

  • 4 units for singles

TVM 1-800-368-9242

TVM Tower, 212 Brock St., Peterborough

  • 11 units for singles, seniors, and special needs

TVM George Street, 406-408 George St. N, Peterborough

  • 8 units

TVM Schoolhouse, 443 Reid St., Peterborough

  • 48 units or singles, seniors, families, and special needs

TVM Terraces, 207-209 Murray St., Peterborough

  • 16 units for people with disabilities

Rent supplements

Rent supplements are another way to lower the amount of rent you pay. It is a monthly payment to your landlord. It can bridge the gap between what you can afford to pay and what the rent actually is. Call the Housing Resource Centre at 705-743-2272 for help getting a rent supplement.

Get help with home repairs and accessibility projects

The Peterborough Renovates Program (PRP) application phase is now over. If you submitted a complete application before May 24, 2019 you will be contacted by mid-July. 

This program helps low to moderate income homeowners afford home necessary repairs and upgrades. This can include energy and accessibility work. Your home can be in the City or County of Peterborough. For more information, call Habitat for Humanity at 705-750-1456 or 855-750-1456.

Some eligible repairs include:

  • heating systems (i.e. furnace)
  • septic systems (i.e. tank and weeping bed)
  • accessibility work (i.e. ramp to make an accessible entrance)
  • structural and fire safety (i.e. cracked foundation)
  • energy efficiency work (i.e. new windows)

    How much funding is available?

    A household can receive up to $25,000 through the Peterborough Renovates Program. This could include a grant for up to $5,000 for accessibility work. The applicant must pay for any costs greater than the approved project amount.

    There are household income and house value limits.

    These loans are “forgivable” with a term of 10 years. “Forgivable” means that you do not need to pay anything as long as you continue to meet the terms in your loan agreement. All loans will be registered as either a Mortgage or a Notice on Title.

    If you submitted a complete application before the May 24, 2019 deadline, you will be notified in writing when to start your project. Contractors will be paid after the entire project is complete.

    Funding is limited. Complete applications must be received by Habitat for Humanity by May 24, 2019.

    How do I apply?

    For information, contact the delivery agent Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region. 

    Phone: 705-750-1456 or 1-855-750-1456

    Email: susan@habitatpkr.ca

    Address: 300 Milroy Dr., Peterborough

    Additional Details

    Peterborough Renovates Program funding comes from the federal and provincial governments. The whole program is called the Investment in Affordable Housing program.

    The City of Peterborough has a contract with Habitat for Humanity to deliver the Peterborough Renovates Program. This means that staff at the Habitat office handles all applications and questions.

    If you got a loan in the past and have questions, contact Housing Services. You can email your yearly update forms and documents.

Get help buying a home

The Homeownership Assistance Loan Program is currently closed. If available in 2020, it will help people afford a down payment on a house in the City or County of Peterborough. This program is not offered every year. When available, it helps renters with low and moderate-incomes. There are income and asset limits set each program year. There is also a maximum purchase price for eligible houses in the City and County of Peterborough.

Other tools and tips are on CMHC's Home Buying Step by Step website.

Contact Housing Services at 705-742-7777 extension 4663 (HOME) for more information.

If you got a loan in the past and have questions, contact Housing Services. You can email your yearly update forms and documents.

Community Housing

This information helps guide Community Housing providers in the City and County of Peterborough. 

 Community Housing Guide

The Community Housing Guide (“the Guide”) is now available online. 

What is Community Housing?
“Community Housing” is a new term we use for Social Housing or Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) Housing. The places that run Community Housing are often called Housing Providers. In Peterborough City and County, the largest Housing Provider is Peterborough Housing Corporation. There are 12 other smaller providers that also run RGI Housing.
What is the Guide?

The Community Housing Guide (“the Guide”) has the information from most of the Community Housing Directives (CHD), see below, but with more detail added. It also has more easily worded items from the Housing Services Act, 2011 (HSA). The HSA is one of the main laws that tells the Housing Providers a lot of the rules that they need to follow. Some of the rules are about the need to track a wait list for people who want RGI housing. This wait list is run by Housing Access Peterborough (HAP), and is often called the Centralized Wait List (CWL).

There are also chapters about best practices and information that is important to running Community Housing. The Guide is updated often and the newest version is posted online.

Who is the Guide for?
The Guide will be most useful to people who work at the City, the Housing Providers and Housing Access Peterborough (HAP). It is on the website for others who also may find it helpful such as residents, members of the public and other Service Managers.
How was the Guide written?

The first public version of the Guide was released in 2019. It was created with input from Housing Providers and Housing Access Peterborough staff at the Service Manager Advisory Resource Team (SMART) meetings. SMART meetings are held regularly and include Housing Provider representatives, Housing Access Peterborough staff, and City staff. Other Housing Providers are welcome to join SMART by contacting Housing Services staff at housing@peterborough.ca.

Thank you to neighbouring Service Managers who allowed us to use content, ideas and templates from their local guides and policies. This includes Halton Region, City of Ottawa, City of London and especially Durham Region.

Community Housing Directives 

The City of Peterborough is the Service Manager for housing and homelessness. The HSA allows Service Managers to make “local rules” for some parts of running Community Housing. Service Managers can also make rules about best practices that are important to the community and give information about changes that happen. When these rules, practices and changes are sent to Housing Providers, they are called Community Housing Directives (CHD). The CHD are updated regularly, and the newest ones are posted online.


AIR 2019-01 Retention of Operating Surplus

AIR 2019-02 Annual Information Return

CAP 2019-01 Capital Planning and Capital Reserves 

INC 2012-02 Pursuit of and Failure to Obtain Income

INC 2019-02 Documentation Required for Verification of Income

MIS 2016-01 Provider Participation in Provincial Arrears Database

OCC 2018-01 Occupancy Standards and Special Circumstances

OCC 2018-02 Over-housed Households

OCC 2018-03 Order of Household Selection

OCC 2019-01 Absence from Unit

REP 2019-01 Notes to Financial Statements for SHRRP Funding

REV 2018-01 Process for Review

RGI 2014-03 Review of Continued Eligibility for Rent-Geared-to-Income Assistance

RGI 2018-01 Housing Provider Refusals to House

RGI 2018-02 Number of Offers to House

RGI 2019-02 Imputed Rate of Return on Non-Income Producing Assets

RGI 2019-03 Notification of Changes to Income or Household Information

RGI 2019-04 Fluctuating and Seasonal Income

RGI 2020-01 Rent Increase Guideline

Letter templates and forms
This section sets out several forms and letters that include content that meets requirements under the law and other local rules. Housing Providers may choose to use their own internal documents but are required to always use the same information in their own letters and forms.

Note: In order to keep the formatting of documents, it is recommended that Housing Providers select File and download the document to Microsoft Word rather than "cut and paste".

 Letter templates

Notice of Increase to Market/Maximum RGI and 12-month Rule

Notice of Ineligibility - 12 months at market

Notice of Requirement to Divest of Property

Notice of Requirement to Divest of Property - Extension

Notice of Requirement to Pursue Employment Insurance (EI)

Notice of Requirement to Pursue Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)

Notice of Requirement to Pursue Old Age Security (OAS)

Notice of Requirement to Pursue Ontario Works Income

Notice of Requirement to Pursue Ontario Works Income - Dependent

Notice of Retroactive RGI Change with Amount Owing

Notice of RGI Change

Request for Information

Request for Information - Declaration of Child Support (DCS)

 Form Templates

Former Tenant Move Out Arrears Report (Housing Access Peterborough)

Peterborough Review Committee Brochure

Peterborough Review Committee Hearing Form - Tenant/Member/Applicant

Peterborough Review Committee Hearing Form - Housing Provider/HAP

Urgent Medical Needs