Marriage Licences and Ceremonies


Marriage licences

Our office is open to issue marriage licences by appointment. Only one individual is required to attend an appointment for a marriage licence, and where possible, we are requesting that only one applicant attend. 

The City of Peterborough issues marriage licences Monday to Friday by appointment in the Clerk's Office. The process takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. Preference is given to couples from the City of Peterborough.

Fee: $148.00 (payment by debit, Visa or MasterCard preferred; cash is accepted).

A marriage licence can only be issued to the applicants named in the application. Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence Application Form, but only one person needs to be present in order to get the licence. That person will need to bring identity documents for both parties.

The date and place of the ceremony must be noted on the application in order for the licence to be issued. A marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued and can be used anywhere in Ontario.

Steps involved in getting a marriage licence:

1. Complete and submit the application online. Print and have both parties sign.

Apply for Marriage Licence

2. Send pictures of all identification (see below) as well as required divorce documents to Please note that we need to be able to read the information in the pictures.

3. Book an appointment time (call us at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820).

4. Come to City Hall for your appointment through the front doors at 500 George St. N. Make sure to bring all original documents – the original signed application, original identification for both you and your partner, and all original divorce documents (if applicable). Payment by debit or credit card is preferred.


Two pieces of original identification are required for each applicant; photocopies will not be accepted. One piece of identification must establish proof of identity and the second piece must be photo identification. 

Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator. 

Valid identification documents
  • Birth Certificate (including any change of name certificates)
  • Valid passport
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
Valid Photo ID
  • Valid driver's licence
  • Valid passport
  • Ontario photo card
  • Native Status card
  • Nexus card

If a valid passport is used as the identity document, it cannot also be used as the photo I.D.

If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter. The interpreter must also present two pieces of identification (one photo identification, one other) and sign an affidavit of interpreter.
Under 18
The minimum age to get married in Ontario is 16. However, anyone under the age of 18 must have parental consent. Parents must sign a Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage form and provide photo identification. Consent forms are available at the Clerks Office.
If you are previously divorced
Divorce in Canada: If any party to the marriage has a previous Canadian divorce, the original Certificate of Divorce must be presented. This certificate can be obtained from the courthouse where the divorce was granted. No photocopies will be accepted. If you need further information, please call our office at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820.

Divorce outside of Canada: If there is a previous divorce that was granted outside of Canada, you will need to obtain approval of the foreign divorce certificate from the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay. 

You will need to send the following documents to ServiceOntario:

  • marriage licence application form: completed and signed
  • statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Please visit ServiceOntario for more information and to complete the appropriate forms.

Marriage certificates

Marriage certificates are records of your marriage. They are issued by the Registrar General.

To get a marriage certificate or more information visit the Service Ontario web page.

Marriage ceremonies at City Hall

 Council Chambers 2

The fee for the ceremony is $355.00 + HST payable by cash, debit, Visa or Master Card at the time of booking.  Please contact the City Clerk's office at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820 for further information.

In order to marry you must obtain your marriage licence and provide it to the officiant prior to your wedding day.

 Marriage ceremony details

We are currently not booking wedding ceremonies for 2022. If the situation changes updates will be provided on our website.

 Marriage Policy

The marriage policy must be read and then printed and signed by both members of the wedding couple. This document when signed needs to be sent to