City Hall Seniors Living Internal Business Visiting Online Services Business Crossing Guards Living Living City Hall PACAC Geomatics/Mapping Mayor's Action
Emergency & Risk Management Accessibility Transit Search Wellness Centre FAQ Sitemap Contact Us Living Living News Living Election Wall of Honour Business
City living image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

Potholes, Sidewalks and Road Hazards

How do I report a pothole, sidewalk or road hazard?

Contact the Public Works Division at 705-745-1386.  This telephone line is answered 24/7.  You will need to provide the closest street address or closest intersection for this service request.  The exact location of the hazard will be recorded and an inspection arranged so that the appropriate action is taken.

My vehicle was damaged in a pothole on a City road, what should I do?

Report the hazard to the Public Works Division at 705-745-1386.

It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is operated in a safe manner.  Should you feel your vehicle is not roadworthy contact your insurance company for guidance.

Will the City pay for my damages?

The City adheres to the provisions of the Provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards (MMS) for Municipal Highways (Ontario Regulation 239/02).   These provisions dictate the frequency of road inspection and repair.  By meeting the MMS provisions, liability will not be found against the City for damage to privately owned vehicles.  If you feel your vehicle has been damaged due to an improperly maintained road, you should immediately contact your automobile insurer.  They may seek compensation on your behalf, as stipulated in your insurance policy.  

Claims for non-repair of a municipal roadway must be received in writing by the City within ten (10) days of the incident. Follow the procedure outlined in the Making a Claim section of this site.

It is important to note that the City is not responsible for all of the roads in the region. Condominium Associations, private lanes and parking lots are not under the control of the City of Peterborough.