City election image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

Financial Statements - Information for Candidates

The filing deadline is 2 p.m. on March 29, 2019.

Financial statements for candidates will be published on this website after March 29, 2019.

Information for Candidates

It is your responsibility as a candidate to file a complete and accurate financial statement on time. 

If you filed a nomination form you must file a financial statement.

If your campaign contributions (including contributions from yourself) or campaign expenses are greater than $10,000 you must have your financial statement audited and include the auditor's report when you submit your financial statement to the city clerk.

Filing Early

You can file your campaign financial statement after you have ended your campaign.  If you file your statement early and then discover that there is an error in it, you can submit a corrected statement at any time before the filing deadline on March 29, 2019.

Applying for an Extension

If you think that you will be unable to file your financial statement by the deadline, you may apply before March 29, 2019 to the Superior Court of Justice for an extension.  If the court grants the extension, you will receive the refund of your nomination fee if you file by the deadline given to you by the court.

Grace Period for Filing

If you have not filed your financial statement by the deadline, you may file your financial statement within 30 days after the deadline, if you pay the City a $500 late filling fee.  You will not receive a refund of your nomination fee if you file during the 30-day grace period.

If you have not filed your financial statement by the end of the 30-day grace period and you did not apply to the court for an extension prior to the deadline, you will forfeit your elected office (if you won the election) and you will be ineligible to run for office or be appointed to fill a vacancy until after the 2022 election.

If you did not file your financial statement by the end of the grace period, you may still file it for the purposes of having your finances on the record.  The Clerk will accept the financial statement and make it available to the public.  The penalties will still apply.

Campaign Surplus or Deficit

If your campaign has a surplus after you have refunded contributions made by yourself or your spouse, you must pay the surplus over to the Clerk when you file your financial statement.  The surplus will be held in trust, and you can use it if you incur expenses related to a compliance audit.  If the surplus is not needed for these expenses it becomes the property of the City or the school board.

If your campaign expenses are greater than your campaign income, your campaign will be in deficit.  Starting with the 2018 election, candidates may no longer carry forward a deficit to their next campaign.