City election image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

Municipal Election

The Municipal Election was held on Monday, October 22, 2018. 

The next Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 23, 2022.

2018 Post-Election Accessibility Report

The City of Peterborough has released its Post-Election Accessibility Report

Accessibility Report Image

Information About Voting in Peterborough

Voting is not only a democratic right, it is also the easiest way to have a say in how your community is governed. When you cast a ballot, you are choosing someone who will represent you.

Municipal government is involved in many aspects of our daily lives. Some of the services include fixing roads, providing water and electricity, collecting garbage, caring for children and the elderly, running public transit, supporting the arts, and protecting our City's citizens. 


Eligible voters in the City of Peterborough elect candidates to represent them at City Hall and on local School Boards. An eligible elector can vote for Mayor, up to two Councillors (representing her or his ward), and up to two School Board Trustees (depending on school support).


One to be elected by all electors of the municipality.

City Councillors

Two to be elected for Ward 1 (Otonabee)

Two to be elected for Ward 2 (Monaghan)

Two to be elected for Ward 3 (Town)

Two to be elected for Ward 4 (Ashburnham)

Two to be elected for Ward 5 (Northcrest)

School Board Trustees

Two to be elected for Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board

Two to be elected for Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board

One to be elected for Conseil Scolaire Viamonde

One to be elected for Conseil Scolaire Catholique MonAvenir

Each elector is entitled to vote for the trustee(s) in one school board. In order to be eligible to vote for the trustees of a board, an elector must be a supporter of that board. "Supporter" refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system. 

School Support

MPAC maintains school support information for every property in Ontario as required by section 14(1.1) of the Assessment Act. School support information is included on every Property Assessment Notice. It is not necessary for a property owner or tenant to have children in order to support a particular school board or to vote for its trustees.  However, section 16(4) of the Assessment Act requires that the school support designation default to English-Public unless the owner or tenant advises MPAC otherwise.

Changing Support

As required by section 16(3) of the Assessment Act, changes to school support designation must be made in writing. The property owner or tenant must complete an Application for Direction of School Support form which can be obtained from the local school board office.

Once the Application for Direction of School Support has been completed and signed, it can be returned to MPAC:

For questions relating to school support, contact MPAC directly at 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).