City Hall Seniors Living Internal Business Visiting Online Services Business Crossing Guards Living Living City Hall PACAC Geomatics/Mapping Mayor's Action
Committee
Emergency & Risk Management Accessibility Transit Search Wellness Centre FAQ Sitemap Contact Us Living Living News Living Election Wall of Honour Business
City business image
   
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

LLF Invites Community to Name New Public Square

LLF Invites Community to Name New Public Square

LLF Lawyers Logo

UPDATE - May 16, 2018

Following a public announcement on April 4th, 2018 the community has cast more than 500 votes in the survey to select the new name from a short list of 7 community based names.    The voting break down looks like this:

  • Firehouse Square – 154 Votes
  • W.A. Howard Commons – 10 Votes
  • Robertson Davies Square – 102 Votes
  • Dr. Thomas Greer Square – 9 Votes
  • Library Commons – 186 Votes
  • Carnegie Square – 42 Votes
  • Brigade Square – 35 Votes

When the square opens to the public a plaque will be installed on the square commemorating this community space and its chosen name.  Once the development of the square is completed the City looks forward to welcoming the public to an official opening ceremony.​ 

 

ORIGINAL Article - April 4th, 2018 

LLF has asked that the community decide on the final name for this new public space. Through a vetting process involving LLF, City Staff, Library Board, Public Art Advisory Committee, and Arena’s, Parks, and Recreation Advisory Committee a short list of names have been identified for the community to decide on.

The City is proud to accept sponsorship support from LLF Lawyers for a newly developed public square located at Simcoe and Aylmer Street.  This generous sponsorship from LLF represents a significant contribution supporting a Public Art piece to be installed on the space. In recognition of this contribution to the community – the City has offered LLF Lawyers a 20 year naming right to the square along with on-site recognition.   

LLF has asked that the community decide on the final name for this new public space. Through a vetting process involving LLF, City Staff, Library Board, Public Art Advisory Committee, and Arena’s, Parks, and Recreation Advisory Committee a short list of names have been identified for the community to decide on.    

Our short list of possible names pay tribute to our community’s heritage and history, supports our community values, and reflects a commitment to an inclusive space for all to enjoy.

Community members are asked to cast their vote for the name they feel represents their community. Each name and it’s relevance to our community is profiled below:
  • Firehouse Square

    Firehouse StationIn recognition of our City’s rich heritage and the historic fire hall that stood on the present day library property.  The fire hall was officially opened on January 1, 1908 as the City sought to professionalize fire fighting in Peterborough. Hopeful that a professional force would be able to respond to and suppress fires more quickly, the Fire Department was established and positions were filled by June, 1908.

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives 2000-012-014064-1

  • W.A. Howard Commons

    W.A. Howard Commons

    Recognizing the historical site of the City’s firehouse and the man charged with overseeing these services in our community.  The volunteer force had resigned en masse when their chief since 1880, Thomas Rutherford, was overlooked during the hiring process.  Council instead hired William A. Howard, of Owen Sound, as the first Chief of the Peterborough Fire Department.  Sympathy for Rutherford and the feeling that Howard was a flashy outsider resulted in a somewhat tumultuous start to Howard's time as chief.  He also was in charge during two of Peterborough's biggest disasters - the collapse of the Turnbull Building (1913), and the Quaker Oats explosion and fire (1916).  

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives Bio 12604 002

  • Robertson Davies Plaza

    Robertson Davies Plaza

    Recognizing the cultural and literary contributions of Peterborough resident, the acclaimed playwright and novelist, Robertson Davies, lived and worked in Peterborough from 1942-1963.  He was the Editor (1942-1955) and Publisher (1955-1965) for the Peterborough Examiner.  During his time as Editor, he wrote humorous essays under the pseudonym, Samuel Marchbanks and even named his home on Park Street, 'Marchbanks'.  While living here, we wrote The Salterton Trilogy ("Tempest-Tost", 1951; "Leaven of Malice", 1954; "A Mixture of Frailties", 1958).  Every day, he walked from his home to the Examiner building (Water and Hunter) and was a familiar sight to residents along the way.  When the new Peterborough Public Library opened on 17 Sep 1980, Davies was the keynote speaker.

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives P-09-057-11

  • Dr. Thomas Greer Square

    Dr. Thomas GreerRecognizing the first building developed on the present day square site, and its original owner, Dr. Thomas Newton Greer, born in Cavan Township in 1859.  He graduated from the University of Toronto and began practicing medicine in 1881.  Dr. Greer had his home on Aylmer Street (site our the square) built for him around 1893 and lived and practiced medicine there until his death in 1924.  Greer lectured at the newly-formed Nicholls Hospital School of Nursing for many years and was a founding member of what eventually became known as the Peterborough Medical Society.

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives 2000-012-014698-3

  • Library Commons

    image of new Peterborough Library ComplexIn recognition of this squares proximity and relevance to the City’s newly renovated Public Library.   Library commons reflects an outdoor public space for community gatherings, special events or programs, and a space where everyone is welcome.

    Photo provided by City of Peterborough

     

  • Carnegie Square

    Carnegie WingRecognizing Peterborough’s “Carnegie Library” and the funding support provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation in 1911.   The Carnegie Library, on George Street is the present day “Carnegie Wing of City Hall”.    The original building stands today as the North Wing of city hall located on the Southeast corner of George and McDonnel streets.  The Carnegie foundation is credited with investing millions in capital grant funding to building thousands of libraries around the world.

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives 2000-012-000967-1

  • Brigade Square

    Brigade Square
    A reference to the City’s 1908 fire hall and the British English term brigade.   Before modern firefighting services were in use a group of people assembled for the specialized purpose of fighting fires were known as a fire brigade.    With the opening of the new fire hall and the intentions to professionalize first fighting in Peterborough, this was also the symbolic end of the fire brigade, and the evolution of our City’s modern fire department.

    Photo provided by Peterborough Museum & Archives PG 3-9

Browse other articles related to Sponsor Peterborough.

All revenues from Sponsor Peterborough are invested into delivery and development of facilities, programs, services and events in the city of Peterborough.