City Hall Seniors Living Internal Business Visiting Online Services Business Crossing Guards Living Living City Hall PACAC Geomatics/Mapping Mayor's Action
Emergency & Risk Management Accessibility Transit Search Wellness Centre FAQ Sitemap Contact Us Living Living News Living Election Wall of Honour Business
City business image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size


Where can I get more information about demerit points?

Only moving violations have demerit points attached to the conviction.  These demerit points are determined and administered by the Ministry of Transportation.  You can get more information online by going to where you can select “Driver Licensing” option. 

After I receive my ticket, will the court forward any other notifications that I owe money?  What if I don’t receive this notification?

Yes, a Notice of Fine and Due Date is automatically generated once a conviction is registered on the Provincial Database.  The Notice is mailed to the address listed on the ticket unless you have contacted the court and provided a new address.  Please note that changing your address with the MTO does NOT automatically update your address with the courts. The notices are forwarded as a courtesy only - if for some reason you do not receive the notice, the full amount outstanding (including Victim Fine Surcharge + court costs) is still owing and must be paid in full by the due date in order to avoid enforcement and additional costs.

The ticket issued to you by the officer is your formal notification that a charge has been laid and you must choose an option within 15 days.

What can I do if I can’t pay my fine by the due date?

If you have been convicted and you are unable to pay your fine by the due date, you must attend the court office and fill out a Motion for Extension of Time to Pay a Fine.  Once completed, the court office will send your application  to the Justice of the Peace for a decision.

I requested a court date but I did not receive my Notice of Trial in the mail and now I have been convicted.  What can I do?

You must attend at the Provincial Offences court within 15 days of becoming aware of your conviction  and request a Reopening of your matter.  You will be asked to fill out the forms and swear an affidavit.  The forms would then be forwarded to the Justice of the Peace for consideration.  If granted, the conviction would be reversed and a new trial ordered.  You are obligated to confirm your address with the court and follow up with the court to ensure you get your new court date. 

What do I do if I received a Summons from the officer?

If you received a summons, the procedures for a ticket indicated above do not apply.

You or your agent would need to attend court on the date & time indicated on the summons.  If you require advice, please contact a lawyer or a licensed paralegal.  If you fail to appear in court, a warrant for your arrest may be issued or the court may proceed with your trial in your absence.  You may not see a Justice of the Peace before your court date and depending on the type of offence, your matter may be dealt with by the Provincial Prosecutor.

Contact our office for more information about your summons.