CommitteeEmergency & Risk ManagementAccessibilityTransitSearchWellness CentreFAQSitemapContact UsSign-InLivingLivingNewsLivingElectionWall of HonourBusiness
Social Media Disclaimer
Serving you through Social Media:
We welcome your participation on City social media. This forum is monitored regularly during business hours Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. Comments outside of business hours will be reviewed the following business day.
Social media such as Twitter and Facebook is intended to enhance our communication – not to replace normal City business processes. If you would like to request a City service, please contact City hall at 705-742-7771 for personal assistance, 705-742-7777 if you know the extension, for voicemail or toll free at 1-855-738-3755. We also encourage you to visit our website at www.peterborough.ca where you can access email addresses to request a City service.
Rules of Participation:
You are welcome to share respectful comments on our social media channels.
The City reserves the right to remove any posts or content that:
- Provides the personal information of individuals
- Promotes, perpetuates or fosters discrimination on the basis of race, creed, colour, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, nationality, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
- Is a personal attack on an individual or specific group
- Is profane or abusive
- Is sexually explicit or links to content that is sexually explicit
- Conducts or encourages illegal activity
- Is commercial in nature and is attempting to advertise, promote or sell products or services of an individual or an individual business
- Is for the purposes of promoting a candidate for municipal, provincial or federal election
- May tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Violates a legal ownership interest of another party
- Violating privacy legislation, including discussion of items in closed session meetings
- Does not comply with municipal, provincial or federal legislation
- Promotes an individual religion or religious service.
The overall goal is to ensure that all parties participate online in a respectful, relevant way.
Members of the public are welcome to post event information on the City’s social media if that event is open to the general public and meets one of the following criteria:
- Organized or funded by another level of government
- Organized by a government-funded agency or board
- Organized by a City of Peterborough affiliated group
- An organization identified as eligible for a City of Peterborough community grant
- Funded in full, or in part, or sponsored by the City of Peterborough
- Organized by a charitable organization with a registered charitable number and operating within the City of Peterborough
- Organized by a service club or neighbourhood association operating within the City of Peterborough performing work that benefits Peterborough residents
- Organized by a business improvement area or Chamber of Commerce for general promotional purposes.
You are responsible to protect your privacy:
When you registered for your social media account, you provided personal information to the provider. And since then, you may have added even more information and photos to your profile. The City would like to remind you that if you don’t have your privacy settings restricted, then anyone who “likes” or "follows" our account could potentially view your personal information. Be sure to get to know the security settings within the Social Media you are using.
About your personal information:
Personal information, which includes your Internet Provider (IP) address, is being collected, managed, processed and or stored by a third party service provider and is therefore, not in the sole domain, custody and control of the City of Peterborough. Additionally, your personal information may cross the border to a foreign jurisdiction and will therefore, be subject to the governing laws of that jurisdiction.
The City will post topics and updates on City activities and, from time to time, will ask for your feedback. This information will be monitored, reported back to staff and sometimes Council.
We look forward to hearing from you.