CommitteeEmergency & Risk ManagementAccessibilityTransitSearchWellness CentreFAQSitemapContact UsSign-InLivingLivingNewsLivingElectionWall of HonourBusiness
Vision 2025 - A 10-Year Strategic Plan for Recreation, Parks, Arenas and Culture
Final Update of Vision 2025
In June, 2015, the City of Peterborough contracted the Rethink Group, specialists in leisure services planning and management, to prepare a 10-year strategic plan for recreation, parks, arenas and culture.
Key Aspects of the Project
The Plan included an analysis of:
- how leisure services are provided,
- policies and practices,
- programming, festivals and events,
- indoor and outdoor facilities,
- parks and open space,
- leisure trends and best practices, and
- the way leisure services are funded.
The nature of the Peterborough and area community was examined, along with anticipated population growth and change over the next decade and beyond.
Current demand for leisure services was researched, past trends analyzed and future demand predicted. The gap between supply and demand was identified, and future gaps predicted. The Plan built upon identified strengths and opportunities, and addressed deficiencies, challenges and needs (current and future).
An important objective of the Plan was to explore ways to reduce overlap, improve efficiency, optimize resources, and seek new sources of revenue and funding. In part, this was accomplished by exploring opportunities for increased collaboration, co-operation, communication, sharing and joint ventures among the many agencies and groups who are directly and indirectly involved in providing culture, recreation and sport services.
Another important output of Vision 2025 was a strategy to increase the strength and capacity of volunteers who are an essential element in the provision of leisure services throughout the community.
Community and Stakeholder Consultation
Input from residents, community leaders, service providers and other stakeholders influenced the development of Vision 2025. Almost 2,400 individuals, groups and agencies were consulted via the following input opportunities:
- an on-line household survey,
- a user group survey,
- a survey of volunteer-based groups and services,
- a forum for volunteer-based groups,
- a forum for Municipal staff,
- a call for submissions and briefs from groups and individuals,
- a stakeholders forum,
- a forum for culture and recreation service providers in the townships,
- workshops and larger forums with various culture and recreation groups,
- key informant interviews (individuals, groups, agencies,
- two sessions with Peterborough City Council,
- sessions with the three Committees of Council that relate to this service area, and
- a community-wide forum to review the evolving Plan.
The Plan includes a Belief Statement, 12 Guiding Principles, a twenty-year Vision for leisure services, and a 10-year Strategic Action Plan. The Action Plan includes four Strategic Directions - each supported by Objectives and Actions. In all, the Plan includes 55 objectives and 195 actions. Four supplemental recommendations that support the Strategic Directions were also prepared, including a Volunteer Engagement Strategy.
Vision 2025 comprises the following reports. All can be found in the text box above.
- Vision 2025, A 10-Year Strategic Plan for Recreation, Parks, Arenas and Culture
- The Background Report
- The Community and Stakeholder Consultation Report
Also included is the final presentation to Committee of the Whole on November 7, 2016. That presentation summarizes the key aspects of Vision 2025. To learn about the objectives, actions and supplemental recommendations, see the Strategic Plan report.