The Peterborough Sport & Wellness Centre offers the Red Cross Learn To Swim Programs and also the Lifesaving Society's Leadership Levels on an 8 or 10 week session basis. Lessons are available for participants 4 months to adults. Private and semi-private classes are also available. Please contact the Aquatic Coordinator at 705-742-0050 ext. 2208 for details on booking private lessons.
If you would like to view the Fall / Winter Swimming Lesson Schedule, please read our Program GuideTo register for Swimming Lesson online, visit RecServe. Make sure you have your client barcode and pin #. If you do not, simply call the Wellness Centre at 742-0050 ext 2201 and the receptionist will gladly set you up with that information.
Aquatic ScreeningIf your child(ren) is going to start swimming lessons for the first time, or you are simply unsure as to what level to place your child(ren), simply contact the Aquatic Supervisor to book an Aquatic Screening during one of our scheduled Public Swim times. A screening involves about five to ten minutes of time and allows a certified aquatic instructor to evaluate the level that your child will require for registration. This service is free of charge and may be booked by calling 705-742-0050 ext. 2208 to speak to the Aquatic Coordinator.
Why Choose Red Cross Swim?
- Research: Our programs are based on research about why and how people drown, injury prevention methodology to promote wise choices and market research from consumers like you.
- Quality: Our programs strive to make water safety active, engaging and age appropriate. Red Cross Water Safety Instructors train for more than 75 hours and have practical teaching experience. Our programs also come with professional products to encourage participant’s success.
- Program Content: Red Cross Swim teaches all six strokes (front and back stroke, front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, butterfly), promotes fitness and endurance, and gives participants life-long skills to enter other aquatic pursuits. See where Red Cross Swim can take your or your family.
- Recognition: The Red Cross is one of the most recognized and respected brands in the world. Chances are many parents and caregivers learned to swim with Red Cross. You may already understand the value of the programs for your own children.
- National Program: Participants can easily transfer or continue training between communities, which is especially important for teens taking the Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Development program – knowing they can get hired across Canada.