Learning Earning and Parenting (LEAP)
LEAP provides opportunities to:
- Finish High School
- Receive a bursary for post-secondary education or training
- Receive money to be held in trust for your child's future education.
Special LEAP staff work with young parents receiving social assistance to help reach their educational goals.
Is LEAP for you?
The LEAP program is geared to:
- Single parents and couples up to age 25
- People on social assistance who have not completed high school
- Parents receiving Ontario Works, under 18 years must take part
- Parents between the ages of 18 to 25 may choose to take part if they are interested
Supports for 16 & 17 year old youth:
- Intensive case management is provided to eligible under 18 youth
- Funds are issued via trustee to help support appropriate budgeting
- Adult supervisors are agreed upon to provide informal mentorship and encouragement
- Additional funding is available for clothing, transportation and school supplies to support school attendance
- Partnerships with local schools are in place to provide Outreach supports
- Earnings exemptions: full time secondary students of all ages keep all money they earn at a job (no deductions from Social Assistance)!
- Encouragement, Encouragement, Encouragement!!