Main Navigation

Ontario Works

Apply for Social Assistance Online

Image of a 3 dimensional star

Feature of the Month

Take What You Need Program

The Ontario Works Take What You Need group has been a successful group for the past two years. This group was created to help OW and ODSP participants with feeling positive and motivated while job searching and trying to deal with other issues going on in their lives. This program allows you to meet other people in the community, get out and check out some new resources and take part in different activities. You will be able to connect with two mentor coaches who will attend each week to support you in taking part in new activities with the group. This group is about you taking the time for yourself to make some positive changes and get some good support along the way to help prepare you work towards your goals. The program is 8 weeks long and is one day a week with lunch provided. For more information about this program please check out the Take What You Need Flyer.

Please contact your Case Manager or Employment Counsellor to find out when the next session is.

Ontario Works Updates

New Benefits Changes

Included in the 2018 budget are benefit increases to people receiving Ontario Works for denture and vision Care.

Ontario Works Rate Changes

The Ontario government is making important changes to your Ontario Works assistance. Your benefits are increasing!

NEW Arabic Language OW Info

The Ministry of Social Services has now made an Ontario Works Video and Rights and Responsibilities document available in the Arabic language.

Changes to your Ontario Works Statement of Assistance

Beginning in August family members eligible for Ontario Works will be listed on your monthly Statement of Assistance to help loved ones receive community supports like housing subsidies, subsidized bus passes and recreation. Also, in August paper drug cards will no longer be issued and you can access your Ontario Works health benefits like prescription drugs and eye exams using your Ontario health card.

New Income Reporting Changes

Starting in May, your income reporting statement will look different. If you have earnings to report, you will only need to report your gross and net pays. For more details please read the Ministry's Fact Sheet.

How are we doing?

The Ministry of Community and Social Services is looking for your feedback about your experiences with Social Services and/or the Ontario Disability Support Program. Check out the short online survey here.

OW Payment Dates

Ontario Works Payments July 2018

August 2018

September 2018 October 2018
Direct deposit statements /
cheques received by: 

June 29, 2017

July 31, 2018

August 31, 2018

September 28, 2018

Visit our Programs & Services page for information on other types of financial assistance and supports. 

About Ontario Works

Compound image of a head filled with Polaroid pictures of different people.

If you are in temporary financial need of food, shelter or other benefits, Ontario Works may be able to help with some or all of the following:

  • Money for food
  • Help finding a job
  • Avoiding eviction
  • Preventing disconnection of hydro/heating services

To be eligible to receive Ontario Works you must:

  • Live in Ontario and have Canadian status
  • Need money right away to help pay for food and housing costs

You may also have to take part in activities that will help you find a job depending on your situation.


For information about your Rights, Responsibilities and our commitment to you, please watch our Video.

How Ontario Works Can Help You

If you qualify, Ontario Works can provide you with:

  • Financial assistance to help you cover the costs of food and housing
  • Employment assistance to help you prepare for and find a job.
  • Assistance with child care expenses. Visit our Children's Services page for more information.

The amount of money you may receive from Ontario Works will depend on your:

  • Family size
  • Other income
  • Assets (property, investments, other money available to you)
  • The cost of your housing, heat, and hydro

Contact Ontario Works at (705) 748-8830 for more information.

Friendly Operator