Main Navigation

Ontario Works

Apply for Social Assistance Online

Image of a 3 dimensional star

Feature of the Month

Discretionary Benefits

Did you know the City and County of Peterborough has approved some funding for items you may need assistance with? Items such as:

  • Basic dental services for adults,
  • Dentures for adults,
  • Vision care for adults,
  • Prosthetic appliances,
  • Hearing aids and batteries,
  • Travel and transportation - subsidy for a 30 day bus pass,
  • Funeral and burial services,
  • Recreation and social activity subsidies for children.

To learn more about these benefits or how to access them view the Discretionary Benefits Summary handout. The items and amount of funding are reviewed yearly.


Ontario Works Updates

New Benefits Changes

Included in the 2018 budget are benefit increases to people receiving Ontario Works for denture and vision Care.

Ontario Works Rate Changes

The Ontario government is making important changes to your Ontario Works assistance. Your benefits are increasing!

NEW Arabic Language OW Info

The Ministry of Social Services has now made an Ontario Works Video and Rights and Responsibilities document available in the Arabic language.

OW Payment Dates

Ontario Works Payments Jan. 2018 Feb. 2018 Mar. 2018 Apr. 2018
Direct deposit statements /
cheques received by: 
Dec. 29, 2017 Jan. 31, 2017 Feb. 28, 2018 Mar. 29, 2018

Visit our Programs & Services page for information on other types of financial assistance and supports. 

About Ontario Works

Compound image of a head filled with Polaroid pictures of different people.

If you are in temporary financial need of food, shelter or other benefits, Ontario Works may be able to help with some or all of the following:

  • Money for food
  • Help finding a job
  • Avoiding eviction
  • Preventing disconnection of hydro/heating services

To be eligible to receive Ontario Works you must:

  • Live in Ontario and have Canadian status
  • Need money right away to help pay for food and housing costs

You may also have to take part in activities that will help you find a job depending on your situation.


For information about your Rights, Responsibilities and our commitment to you, please watch our Video.

How Ontario Works Can Help You

If you qualify, Ontario Works can provide you with:

  • Financial assistance to help you cover the costs of food and housing
  • Employment assistance to help you prepare for and find a job.
  • Assistance with child care expenses. Visit our Children's Services page for more information.

The amount of money you may receive from Ontario Works will depend on your:

  • Family size
  • Other income
  • Assets (property, investments, other money available to you)
  • The cost of your housing, heat, and hydro

Contact Ontario Works at (705) 748-8830 for more information.

Friendly Operator