How to Apply for Fee Assistance (Subsidy)
Please be aware that currently we have a waitlist for Child Care Fee Subsidy.
We encourage you to test your income in our Income Test Calculator. If it appears that you qualify for Child Care Fee Subsidy, you are welcome to follow the steps below to put your name on our waitlist.
To Apply for Child Care Fee Assistance:
- Contact Children’s Services intake line at (705)748 8830 and choose option #4 in the menu, or
- Fill in the application form and send or drop off at our office, or
- Drop by our office at 178 Charlotte St. to apply in person.
One of our team will take your information to let you know if you qualify for fee assistance.
What to Expect:
- We treat all people fairly and without judgement. We listen carefully to understand unique circumstances and will respond to concerns or ideas.
- When you talk to a case manager, you will be asked questions about your family and financial situation.
- Applications over the phone normally take about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Please have a copy of your most recent Notice of assessment (NOA) from your last income tax report, or your Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) from Revenue Canada.
- If you don't have a copy of your most resent Notice of Assessment, you can get a copy from the Canada Revenue Agency
- This information helps our staff find out if you qualify for assistance.
- If it looks like you will qualify and there is no wait list for fee assistance, your case manager will set up an interview to go over more details. See below for details on wait lists.
- Choose a licensed child care centre and reserve a space before you arrive for your scheduled interview with your case manager.
- At the interview, your case manager will make sure you are still eligible for child care fee assistance using an income test that is mandated by the provincial government.
- Your case manager will then tell you how much the City of Peterborough will pay directly to the licensed child care centre and how much you will pay to the licensed child care centre.
Test your income to see if you may qualify for fee assistance, try our Income Test Calculator. Please be aware that your income is not the only factor that is considered when establishing eligibility. This income test calculator will help you decide if you should apply for fee assistance, but is not a guarantee of fee assistance.
to learn more about applying for fee assistance take a look at our Fee Subsidy Handbook