CommitteeEmergency & Risk ManagementAccessibilityTransitSearchWellness CentreFAQSitemapContact UsSign-InLivingLivingNewsLivingElectionWall of HonourBusiness
Programs and Initiatives
Homeownership Assistance Loan Program
- applications available beginning April 3, 2017
The Homeownership Assistance Loan Program helps eligible renters buy a home in the City or County of Peterborough. You can print the Step by Step Application Package or you can pick one up from the Housing Division at City Hall.
Bring your complete Application with supporting documentation in-person to the Housing Division.
|City of Peterborough's Housing Division|
|Phone||705-742-7777 extension 4663 (HOME)|
500 George Street N Peterborough
- lower level of City Hall
If you want to apply, please review the following items:
- Program Fact Sheet provides an overview of the program eligibility criteria and the process;
- Sample Program Loan Agreement illustrates details about the terms of loan agreement;
- CMHC's "Buying a Home" website presents educational resources for home buyers; and
- Income and Assets examples guideline.
Supporting documentation that is required with your application includes:
- Written mortgage pre-approval from a CMHC approved lender;
- 2016 income tax return (make copies of 2016 T1 General or 2016 Notice of Assessment);
- Copies of two (2) pieces of government issued identification (to verify your status in Canada and that you are at least 18 years old) - one piece must be photo ID; and
- Written verification that you are currently renting.
Do not return your complete application by email. Purchasers who already have an Agreement of Purchase and Sale are not eligible to apply. Applicant, and co-applicant if applicable, will be required to show photo identification and sign an affidavit. There is no waiting list for this program. Program loans are subject to availability - offered on a first-come, first serve basis. The Program ends when funding has been allocated, or December 1. Funds have been provided by the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario.
Peterborough Renovates Program
- Contact Habitat for Humanity beginning April 3, 2017
The Peterborough Renovates Program (PRP) provides loans and grants to low and moderate income homeowners in the City and County of Peterborough. It helps these homeowners to afford needed repairs, including accessibility and efficiency upgrades. Accessibility grants up to $5,000 and forgivable loans up to $25,000 are available.
The Delivery Agent for PRP is Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region. Please direct all questions and requests for application packages to staff at Habitat for Humanity's office.
|Habitat for Humanity, Peterborough & Kawartha Region|
|Phone||705-750-1456 or toll free 1-855-750-1456|
|Street Address||550 Braidwood Ave. Peterborough ON K9J1W1|
|Hours||Monday to Friday from 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.|
This 2017 Program Backgrounder outlines some key points about the Peterborough Renovates Program. Some types of building repairs and upgrades that may be eligible under this program include: Foundational and structural, heating systems, windows, exterior doors, roofs, septic systems, water supply, electrical and plumbing, and accessibility features.
Program funding begins in April of each year and is delivered on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants, while funding is available. Applications will be available until September and processed as funding is available. When funding for each year has been expended, applicants will be placed on a waiting list until more funding is available under that year's allocation (some exceptions may apply). Detailed information about the program is available in the Peterborough Renovates Program Guidelines. Funds have been provided by the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario.
Rent Supplement Programs
Rent supplements help people with low-incomes by making rent more affordable in the City and County of Peterborough. Through an application, rent supplements assist people in financial need and people who are on the Centralized Waiting List for social Housing. There are two ways that the rent supplement amount is determined: flat-rate or geared-to-income.
- Flat-rate rent supplements involve $100-$250 per month paid to the landlord. Low-income verification is required for eligibility.
- Geared-to-income rent supplements bring the cost of rent for the tenant to 30% of their monthly income, plus or minus utility amounts. The rent supplement pays the remaining amount to the landlord. If the tenant’s income, income source or household composition changes, then both the supplement and the amount of rent they are required to pay may change. Low-income verification is required for eligibility.
Some rent supplements are attached to units in specific buildings. Others are “portable”, which means that the tenant can move and the rent supplement can be transferred along with them into their new home. Rent supplement availability is limited.
Details on where to apply and the types of rent supplement:
Rent Supplement Type
|Housing Access Peterborough
526 McDonnel Street Peterborough
Geared-to-income supplement, paid to landlord
|Based on income verification and eligibility, 30% of Jane's monthly household employment income is $500. Her rent is $750, therefore the rent supplement amount is $250.|
Housing Resource Centre
540 George Street Peterborough
|Flat-rate supplement, paid to landlord||Based on Joe's income verification and eligibility $200 is the set rate of his rent supplement.|
If you are a private landlord who is looking for more information on the Rent Supplement Program, please contact Housing Access Peterborough at 705-742-0439 or Housing Resource Centre at 705-743-2272.
This Rent Supplement Program Outline provides additional information about the rent supplement programs in the City and County of Peterborough.