City Hall Seniors Living Internal Business Visiting Online Services Business Crossing Guards Living Living City Hall PACAC Geomatics/Mapping Mayor's Action
Emergency & Risk Management Accessibility Transit Search Wellness Centre FAQ Sitemap Contact Us Living Living News Living Election Wall of Honour Business
City living image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

Housing Access Peterborough

What is Subsidized Housing ?

Subsidized housing provides affordable housing for people whose income prevents them from finding adequate housing in the private rental market. Eligibility for subsidized housing is determined in accordance with provincial legislation called the Housing Services Act, 2011. Subsidized housing is often referred to as social housing or rent-geared-to-income housing.

How Do I Apply for Subsidized Housing ?

Housing Access Peterborough (HAP)


526 McDonnel Street Peterborough, ON


Monday to Friday from 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m.




HAP website

Housing Access Peterborough (HAP) is where you go to apply for subsidized housing programs for the City and County of Peterborough. Staff will determine if an applicant is eligible for subsidized housing (rent-geared-to-income, rent supplement, housing allowance).  Applications can be picked up at the HAP office.

Also, you can contact some of the Social Housing providers at their offices regarding waiting lists.  The Social Housing Directory provides more detail about all of the providers in the City and County of Peterborough and how to apply.

Where are the locations for Subsidized/Social Housing?

map of the locations will allow you to see where units are located.

Is There a Waiting List for Subsidized/Social Housing?

Yes. Please contact HAP to apply.

Your name is added to the waiting list based on your application date.

(A Special Priority program is available for victims of domestic violence.)

Who Can Apply for Subsidized/Social Housing?

  • Everyone who lives with you must be a legal resident of Canada or a refugee claimant;
  • At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older;
  • No one in your household can be under a deportation, departure or exclusion order;
  • You must be able to live independently, with or without support services, and arrange for any needed support services; and
  • No one in your household can owe money to a social housing provider (unless you are repaying the money).
Types of Social Housing

These communities offer both rent-geared-to-income and market rent housing.

Living in a co-operative means that you are a member of the corporation that owns and manages the housing community.

Co-operative members are expected to participate in the operation of their community.


A mix of rent-geared-to-income housing and market rent housing.

These housing communities are owned and operated by community-based organizations.

Peterborough Housing Corporation (PHC)

Peterborough Housing Corporation owns and operates rent-geared-to-income and affordable housing units (below average market rents) in the City and County of Peterborough.

Rent Supplement (Landlords)

The rent supplement program offers subsidized housing with a number of private landlords.

Tenants pay rent-geared-to-income and a subsidy is provided to the landlord to bridge the difference between the tenant's rent and the market rent.

Blue symbol of man in wheelchair Modified Accessible Units 

There are a number of social housing units in the City and County of Peterborough that have been modified to accommodate persons with disabilities. These modifications may include wheelchair/scooter accessibility; architecture including the design and shape of rooms, size of doorways; physical features such as doors, doorknobs, and windows.