City Hall Seniors Living Internal Business Visiting Online Services Business Crossing Guards Living Living City Hall PACAC Geomatics/Mapping Mayor's Action
Emergency & Risk Management Accessibility Transit Search Wellness Centre FAQ Sitemap Contact Us Living Living News Living Election Wall of Honour Business
City living image
Reduce Text Size Reset Text Size Increase Text Size

Births/Deaths/Marriages/Name Change

BirthsDeathsMarriages LicencesMarriage Ceremonies Name Change        


Births occurring in the City of Peterborough on or after January 26, 2009 will no longer be registered with the City Clerk’s Office. Parents may now complete the birth registration online and submit it electronically directly to the Office of the Registrar General at Paper Statements of Live Birth will still be accepted by the Office of the Registrar General and should be mailed to:

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

What If I Need Proof Of Birth (Birth Certificate)?

The birth certificate is a document that can be used as proof of identity and can be used to request documents such as Canadian Passports or Ontario Health Cards. Please note that there are two types of birth certificates: the certified (long) form and the short form.

You may apply for a birth certificate online at



There is a user fee of $25.00 for every burial permit issued in the City of Peterborough.

What If I Need Proof Of Death?

Most funeral homes will provide Proof of Death to the immediate family. For information about any applicable fees, please contact the funeral home directly.

If you need a death certificate issued by the Province of Ontario, an online application is available at You can also apply for a certificate through the mail. Application forms are available in the City Clerk's Office at City Hall or are available online at These forms need to be mailed or faxed to the Registrar General's Office in Thunder Bay.

How Do I Apply For A Certificate From the Province of Ontario?

The Service Ontario website has on-line applications for birth, marriage and death certificates at:

Marriage Licences

The City of Peterborough issues marriage licenses Monday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., at the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 500 George Street North.

Fee: $135.00  (We accept cash, debit, Visa or MasterCard – cheques are not accepted).

A Marriage Licence can only be issued to the applicants named in the application. Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence application form, and at least one party must be present to obtain the license.

Canadian Divorce: If any party to the marriage has a previous Canadian divorce, the original Certificate of Divorce must be presented. This certificate can be obtained from the courthouse where the divorce was granted. No photocopies will be accepted. If you need further information, please call our office at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820.

Divorce outside of Canada: If there is a previous divorce that was granted outside of Canada, you will be required to obtain approval of the foreign divorce certificate from the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay. An application package must be completed and forwarded to the Office of the Registrar General. The Foreign Divorce Office requires a minimum of four weeks to process the application.  

Identification: Two pieces of original identification are required for each applicant; photocopies will not be accepted. One piece of identification must establish proof of identity and the second piece must be photo identification. 
Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator. 

Valid Identity Documents

Valid Photo ID
  • Birth Certificate (including any change of name certificates)
  • Valid Passport
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid Driver's Licence
  • Valid Passport
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Nexus Card

* If a valid passport is used as the identity document, it cannot also be used as the photo I.D.

Interpreter: If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter. The interpreter must also present two pieces of identification (one photo identification, one other) and sign an affidavit of interpreter.

A marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued and can be used anywhere in Ontario. The date and place of the ceremony must be noted on the application in order for the licence to be issued.

If an applicant is under the age of eighteen, a consent form must be signed by both parents or, if only one parent has custody, the parent having legal custody. The consent form can be obtained at our office by calling 705-742-7777, Ext 1820.

The following resources are available to apply for a marriage license:

If you are looking for a copy of a marriage certificate (proof of marriage), the Office of the Registrar General must be contacted.  The application is available here:

Marriage Ceremonies

Marriage ceremonies are conducted in the Council Chambers at City Hall one Friday afternoon of each month at
12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. The fee for the ceremony is $325.00 + HST payable by cash, debit, Visa or Master Card at the time of booking.  Please contact the City Clerk's office at 705-742-7777 ext. 1820 to reserve your ceremony.

Applicants must obtain their marriage licence in advance of the ceremony. Please see above for details on obtaining a marriage licence.

2019 Marriage Ceremonies

  • Friday, January 18, 2018
  • Friday, February 15, 2019
  • Friday, March 15, 2019
  • Friday, April 12, 2019
  • Friday, May 17, 2018
  • Friday, June 7, 2019
  • Friday, June 21, 2019
  • Friday, July 12, 2019
  • Friday, July 26, 2019
  • Friday, August 9, 2019
  • Friday, August 23, 2019
  • Friday, September 6, 2019
  • Friday, September 20, 2019
  • Friday, October 18, 2019
  • Friday, November 15, 2019
  • Friday, December 6, 2019

Name Change

If you are considering changing your name the first thing you should do is check your birth certificate to see exactly how your full name is listed. The name on your Birth Certificate is your legal name.

Assumed Name Change

If you have an assumed name (you have assumed your spouse’s name under the Marriage Act), you are permitted to return to your maiden name (the name you were born with, if that is what is listed on your Birth Certificate).

No legal form is required to return to your maiden name if you have not changed your birth certificate. To change back to your maiden name, you must present your marriage certificate and birth certificate at each office that issues the identification that is currently in your married name. All identification, e.g. social insurance card, health card, banking information, credit cards, Revenue Canada taxation forms, should be changed to reflect the name you will now be using.

Legal Name Change

If you wish to change the name on your birth certificate, then you must apply for a legal name change.

Information on a legal name change is available on the Service Ontario website