Emergency & Risk Management
Accessibility Advisory Committee
Wall of Honour
Municipal Cultural Plan
Approval of the MCP
On April 16, 2012 the Committee of the Whole received the draft of the MCP following a presentation by Dialog, the City's planning consultant. The recommendation to adopt the MCP was unanimously ratified on April 23, 2012 at City Council. A copy of the Municipal Cultural Plan can be found on line.
The Municipal Cultural Plan
The Municipal Cultural Plan (MCP) provides a vision for Peterborough, highlighting economic prosperity, social progress, and quality of life. It focuses on culture’s role in creating a livable, sustainable community with a vibrant downtown and healthy neighbourhoods. Based upon extensive community engagement, the Plan provides a shared cultural vision in Peterborough and a set of guiding principles and actions that ensures Peterborough reaches its greatest potential as a culturally vibrant, creative city.
During the first year of implementation of the plan, several priority objectives are being targeted. These include:
- The creation and implementation of cultural indicators and economic impact measurement tools to assist in developing a comprehensive argument for the economic and social value of supporting culture, and as a means of promoting the MCP as an economic development tool.
- Supporting and developing the downtown as a vibrant cultural hub by implementing the priorities of the Central Area Master Plan that have been identified in this Plan.
- Supporting the creation of a Culture Council as a community driven, arms-length advocacy body supporting, communicating, and coordinating the needs of arts, culture, and heritage organizations.
- Increasing the effectiveness of the Arts, Culture and Heritage Advisory Committee as an asset to Council.
- Recognizing the importance of celebrating and protecting both natural heritage and built heritage in Peterborough.
- Promoting the alignment of City planning processes.
For further information regarding the Municipal Cultural Plan and its implementation, please contact:
City of Peterborough
(705) 742-7777 ext. 1442